Thursday, June 05, 2008

First Swim Meet - Check!

Sarah-Grace had her first swim meet tonight. It was 98 degrees (only it felt like 1000). We were all melting. Everyone's shirts were stuck to their skin with sweat seeping through so bad you could see it!! It was SO gross!! The most traumatic thing (at least for me anyway) was the fact that I had to write on my child with a permanent marker!! Oh yeah, that's right, if you want to ensure your child doesn't get "lost in the shuffle" with the parent volunteers lining them up for the events and heats you must write ALL OVER THEM. Their name on their back, and their event/heat/lane on their arms. Oh and let's not forget our team spirit because only the cool kids wear the team tattoos. I vetoed the tattoo on the forehead (which 3 girls had walking around) and there was NO way I was allowing her to "tramp stamp" it onto her lower back. So, we chose the most appropriate/conservative place around her triceps on the arm I already had to write on. This way I could look at one side and not cringe. I assume I will no longer care about this if she continues in swim. I made this conclusion after seeing that the children a year older than Sarah-Grace had marker their mothers put all over their backs with quotes like "eat my bubbles" and "go ahead and kick me". More disturbing were the pre-teen girls who actually drew mustaches and goatees on their faces!! Not sure if I will ever get that "relaxed" and not sure I want to!!

Sarah-Grace did pretty good. She was the fastest in freestyle until the last leg and then she just slowed down and came in 3rd. I took her to the doctor for a follow up visit on the day she puked in the pool and it turns out she STILL has STREP!! This particular strain of STREP won't go away. She's now on a super strong antibiotic and she has to go back next week and be tested again!! I felt bad that she had puked in the pool in front of everyone, had to go to the doctors and take this horrible medicine so that day I let her eat ice cream for dinner and her actual dinner for dessert. Tad & I think she is still feeling under the weather. The poor girl swam 175 meters this morning at practice, another 100 in warm up at the meet and then 100 meters in the actual meet for a total of 275 meters which is a lot for a 6 year old. I will post pictures tomorrow.

I think I forgot to mention that Charlotte is off spending the week with her great grandparents and so it's just Sarah-Grace and me this week! Wednesday we went to the free movies and saw Night at the Museum and then we went to our local library for the first time. I must say it's been well over 10 years since I have been in a public library (maybe even 15 years) and I was really impressed! Sarah-Grace is reading more and more lately, it's getting to the point that I can't spell much anymore in front of her because she can understand it!! We checked out 2 chapter books. She is really enjoying our time together and Charlotte is having a BLAST with her great aunt and great grandparents!!

No comments: