This weekend was fun, we spent it at the lake. Kelly & Rick came Thursday night because Rick had an interview Friday morning (in Covington for a director position - PLEASE pray for them). We finally had to send Rick off around 11pm because the last time he had an interview we kept him up until 2:30am! Kelly and I spent the day together Friday and then set off with the kids, the dog, the 2 of us and the Volvo stuffed to its capacity with every nook and cranny that car has. I wished we had taken a picture. That trunk has more room than you think it does. 15 minutes into the car ride Sarah-Grace announced "this car is boring, there's nothing to do". Kelly and I had to explain that we didn't have any entertainment when we were her age. It took Sarah-Grace about an hour and a half before she fell asleep. Charlotte was still talking to herself in the dark long after that until Kelly found a cold bag of french fries (from the beginning of the trip) she could feed her.
The weekend went well. Saturday was pretty low key, Sunday everyone showed up and Monday Kelly and I floated for about 3 hours between the boat and our rafts on the lake and I got FRIED. I went to Starbucks today and people could not stop staring at how red I was.
The only thing that didn't go well this weekend was Charlotte sleeping. I hate traveling with babies at this age when you can't give them their own room. Both of my girls are good sleepers - at home. At home they go right down, they never get up in the middle of the night and they sleep in! When we travel we usually have a ton of people and so we all have to sleep in the same room (me, Tad, Sarah-Grace & Charlotte). When Charlotte can see us, she doesn't want to stay in her bed (her sister was the same way until about 2 1/2). Saturday night was the worst she pretty much didn;t sleep at all. Tad was trying to keep Charlotte from waking up the entire house so he brought her to our bed 4 times when he couldn't take the screaming anymore. She won't sleep with us - she wants to play so, he would put her back in her bed and she would scream again. Finally at 5am I got involved. At 6am I kicked Tad out because 1. I had gotten her to sleep in her own bed the night before for 6 hours and 2. Since Tad had already gotten her out of bed 4 times before she wasn't going to stop screaming if he was in the room (she was holding out for him to come pick her up - children rely on precendants set by their parents in the past few hours). After some stern words, some spanks to the bottom and a few taps to the mouth when she screamed out of anger she fell asleep at 7 am in her OWN bed. And then at 7:30 she woke up, called out to me very softly and respectfully without screaming only to tell me, "I pooped" and she did. So, she was up for the rest of the morning. She was out of control. At one point I asked Tad when he gave her crack during the middle of the night. He said "crack, oh no honey she's had some crystal meth". She was so tired and so not trying to slow down - at around 10:30 she was actually grabbing at the air - I think she was hallucinating - we joked she must have had some LSD with whatever else she was "on". She finally crashed at 11am! But for the rest of the weekend when she played with her baby dolls she would yell in their face "Night, night" and throw them down (or in Beamer's dog cage). Nice.
Sunday night Tad slept in a recliner, I slept on the couch and Charlotte slept in her pack-n-play in an empty room with 2 empty twin beds the entire night without getting up once. Now, if you know me you know that I don't believe in giving in to your children - but she just wore us down. And I must say the recliner and the couch may not be the most comfortable things in the world - but it sure does beat not sleeping at all. At least we won't have to do this again until Thanksgiving!
No comments:
Post a Comment